About Me

My photo
Live it up Laugh it out Drink it down Life is short ! Have Fun !

Thursday, July 05, 2007

Une petite fenetre

There is a story that I need to tell.
I read it a long time ago - and much like many things I read - it only makes sense to me now. More sense than it has ever made during the many years in between.

There was a prisoner in a jail. One of those 16th century french dungeons that lay on top of a big mountain surrounded by furious seas and cliffs and all of natures external wonders a stark contrast to the darkness that festered within.
One day he heard chains and the sound of feet - a new prisoner had been allocated the neighbouring cell. Intrigued, he waited for the guards to disperse ..and then when the night was quiet - he said "Hello".
His new friend responded back and soon they got talking.
One day our friend was sad and lonely and asked his new neighbour how his cell was. The new friend responded by saying that his cell was fabulous and he had a huge window with a great view.
"Window? " ...but my cell has no window thought our friend!
So everyday the new neighbour would describe to our friend what he saw out of the window.
The trees dancing in the breeze, the winds ruffling the oceans, skies that were turquoise and bright sunshine. Our friend waited everyday to hear the summary of how beautiful the world outside was and how bright and light life could be with the birds and the music and the flowers.
It became the one thing that held him up through the long days and nights.

One day when our friend tried to chat with his neighbour- there was no response.
The guards informed him that his friend had been moved to a new facility.
Our friend - though momentarily saddened - quickly asked the guards to move him into the empty cell. Wish Granted.
There was a small problem - there was no window. When he told the guards his story - they laughed back and said - it wasnt possible - There was no window and to top it all - his neighbour had been blind.

Circa Present Day.
I have to admit that the glass has been more often empty than full nowadays.
I guess if you are in a bar - then thats fair enough.
But to go through everyday - feeling like you're fighting a losing battle can take its toll.
Then again - Life has always been kind to me and the invisible hand guides me to places and people without whom life would not only be less meaningful but also less beautiful.
And when my inner strength falters - there is someone to hold me up and say that I need to go on, that I cant give up on who I am - because the only way to get out of a dark place is to keep walking towards the light.
And so I walk .. and sometimes I crawl- but a step ahead.Nonetheless.
Everyday.
Thank God I have enough.

2 comments:

VKM said...

Look around you. 90% of the people. Same story. Dont worry!! It's just the ISB effect!

Anonymous said...

When you come out of it (and you will) you will smile and look in the mirror and smile again... im sure.
God bless You