About Me

My photo
Live it up Laugh it out Drink it down Life is short ! Have Fun !

Sunday, February 01, 2009

Allez Roger

Dear Roger,
In 2003, when you won the Wimbledon, you also became the champion of my heart.
Back then. there weren't too many things that made me happy. I guess you can say that I was a very lonely and somewhat sad person.
I didnt know too many people, was dealing with a lot of issues and we all know how long non surgical scars take to heal anyways.
Somehow I met you one night on ESPN.
I remember lying on my couch in my 2119 River apartment, as hurricane warnings flashed and chilled my heart. You took away the fear, if only for a little bit with your magnificent top spin and astounding first serves.
I learnt to ignore the flashes of lightening, the roar of thunder and focused on you instead.
Game after Game. Match after Match. Set after Set.
Uninterrupted.
It was one of the first few things I started looking forward too. At a time, when I looked forward to things far and few in between and dreaded the evenings I spent alone in my apartment.
Yet in a way that I can only describe as fortuitous, you gave me hope and a new routine.
I'd come home and cook and clean and be ready by the time you walked to centre court and unpacked.
It was just the TV, you, me. The Terrific Three.
Slowly, the going started getting good for you and surprising, my life was turning a new leaf as well.
It was the start of a grand love affair.
Year after Year, I have cheered and gotten carpet rash and thumped my fist at every game you have played.
I was watching when you lost the French Open for the first time to Rafa.
And I was also awake way past my bedtime when you lost the Wimbledon to him.
And today, I was also watching when you lost the Australian open to him.
I bet its not easy.
Facing the same opponent, in the same battlefield, time after time.
I just cannot imagine what a nerve wrecking mind game this must be for you.
Its not easy losing the same battle everytime in your life. This I do know something about.
And yet, you are out there, every few months ..taking on this gigantic fight of near epic proportions.
I watched you cry today, and something inside me just broke.
It takes something to breakdown on national television infront of a crowd of millions maybe even billions of people. Like the whole world can see your soul.
A match lost in Tennis is soul shattering. Its like the breakup of a lifetime.
Theres hundreds of missed shots to antagonize and weep over.
I simply cannot imagine what you will go through in the weeks to come.
Dont read any newspapers for one thing. If you do, remember to call up a certain Indian cricketer called Sachin ..I'm sure he had a fairly developed opinion on the astute athletic and sport insights that media people provide.
I really dont have anything smart or witty to say, except for the fact that even though you dont know it ..you were only of the first few friends I made, when I was fighting my own epic battle.
And in this surreal uncanny way, you were there for me.
And I am here cheering for you too.
Allez Roger .. I know you can do this.

3 comments:

Yash said...

i too believe roger will come back strong..
i would love if he beats nadal in the french open..

Anonymous said...

What a post. I am sure Roger's gonna win the next tournament.

Monsieur K said...

You have captured it so well!!
I cried when he lost last Sunday.. it was just too much to hold back for him..
I'm wishing his first French Open this year!! Amen!!

p.s. Came on your blog frm Amit's blog.